If you’re on Instagram regularly, you’ve probably noticed Reels taking over your Instagram feed. There’s a reason why. Instagram is pushing hard to beat TikTok in the race for users, so they will do whatever it takes to get Instagram users hooked on Reels!
This is actually really good news for you…if you can start using Reels frequently, your account will get a lot more exposure than it would by posting graphics and Stories alone. Reels have already been out for a year, but a lot of marketers have waited until now to start using them. It’s not too late to get in and catch the Reels momentum!
I’ve been creating Reels for my account, and several of my clients. Here are my best tips for getting more view and conversions:
- Keep your Reels short. Under 15 seconds seems to perform best in the testing I’ve run. People have short attention spans…If you talk for too long, people get bored.
- Show your face in your Reels. People like seeing other people. Especially personalities they recognize. The Reels where I show my face always perform better than those that don’t show my face.
- Use a hook to get people engaged. Maybe ask a question, then delay your answer, pop up on screen, or do something unexpected to get people to watch what’s coming next.
- Use transitions like outfit changes, character changes (where you play more than one person), or use special transition effects found under the Effects button.
- Use trending audio. We covered this above. Instagram seems to like playing videos with trending audio, so keep them coming!
- Add a text title that is viewable on your profile and in the Feed so people know what your Reel is about.
- Keep captions short and use hashtags that apply to the content in the video/the purpose of your overall account.
- Use captions or text overlays on your Reel so people will understand your Reel if watching it silently.
- Educate with a quick tip, but don’t giveaway too much info if you are trying to sell a product with that info later!
- HAVE FUN! Don’t be afraid to be a little silly or show your humor. These are often the Reels that get the most engagement.
Corey C. Walker is the co-author of Instagram for Dummies, and Instagram for Business for Dummies, a how-to guide for using Instagram to market your business. She is also the owner of The Marketing Specialist, a digital marketing agency in El Dorado Hills, California.
If you like this blog post, you’ll love our Author Toolkit covering websites, blogging and social media for authors. Check it out!