Recently, many authors have been questioning whether to launch a book during the Covid-19 pandemic, and others feel there is little they can do to promote their current books. It’s an understandable dilemma, especially since you won’t likely be able to host a book signing event in 2020 or speak at any large events because they simply aren’t happening.
To make matters even more challenging, the media is currently focused on two primary topics: the pandemic and the election. So, if you want to attract media attention, your best bet is to tie your topic into what is most timely.
There are all kinds of ways to extract topics from your book—even topics that are only loosely related to your book—and pitch the media. All you need is a timely hook to make yourself a relevant source for potential interviews for television and radio appearances (which can now be streamed from home!), and for print publications. Whether or not your pitch relates to your book, when you land a media appearance your book will be mentioned as part of your bio, so most coverage can be considered a win.
Here are some examples of how to position a timely pitch:
- A business book author could share tips on business growth during the pandemic.
- A health book author could cover ways to boost immunity.
- A memoir author whose book details a romantic relationship could pitch ways to keep romance alive during a pandemic.
You can also lean on your credentials. Here are some examples:
- A therapist could offer ways to manage mental health while in isolation.
- A consultant could share ideas for starting a business or side hustle, which is especially valuable considering the current unemployment rates.
- A physician could cover reasons to seek medical help, since many are avoiding preventative care.
Following are other potential tie-ins you could work into your media pitch.
- Work-at-home tips
- Activities for kids
- How to find support for online learning
- At-home exercise tips
- Romance boosters
- Ways to connect with family and friends online
- How to support vulnerable members of your community
- How to care for elderly family members
- Advice on business leadership
- Business growth strategies
- Side hustle ideas
- Job search tips
- Interview strategies
- Home hair care helpers
- Immunity boosting strategies
- At-home hobbies
- Family bonding ideas
- Ways to get organized
- Productivity boosters
- Mental health management
- Weight loss (always a popular topic!)
- Future predictions
- Money-saving ideas
- Conflict management
- DIY home decorating
- Online shopping tips
- Online shopping deals
- Quick meal ideas
- Kid-friendly snacks
- Your Covid-19 survival story
- Recommended reads
- Games families can play with each other on Zoom
- Business start-up advice
- Resilience tips
- Online dating
- Home improvement helpers
- Gardening tips
- Healthy family activities
- Coping strategies
- How to be an activist
- Local day trips
- Review of hiking trails
- Financial planning advice
- How to buy or sell a home
- DIY home decorating
- Socially-distanced wedding planning
- Birthday celebration ideas for kids
- Any self-development topic
- Ways to build healthy habits
What other tie-ins can you come up with to attract media attention?
If you like this post, you’ll love our course: Launch Your Book Publicity Campaign in 21 Days, with guest instructor Drew Gerber of Wasabi Publicity. This 3-week course begins August 27.
We are also hosting a free webinar on August 20th at 10am PDT / 1pm EDT: The Perfect Formula to Pitch Your Book to the Media. Register for this free event here.