The best writing doesn’t come fully formed. You need to get the words down, then hone them until they’re perfect. There’s no one way of doing it though, so you need to go out and find the methods and tools that are right for you. Thanks to the internet, there’s plenty of online tools you can try out when you’re proofreading your work. If you’re looking for something to help you, start with these nine tools.
- White Smoke: This is a great all in one package you can use to check everything about your writing. It includes a spelling and grammar checker, as standard with most tools. It also comes with an inbuilt plagiarism checker. If you write publicly, or are writing for school or university, this is invaluable.
- Reverso: If you need a quick opinion on the state of your writing, this tool is for you. All you have to do is paste your writing in, then you’ll get instant feedback on your spelling and grammar. You can even ask the tool to check against US or UK English rules, so you know you’re getting the right feedback.
- Write My Paper: Proofreading is essential for students, as their grade can depend on the quality of their writing. If you’re unsure about how to proofread your assignments, send them to this writing service. They can check it for you before you hand it in.
- The Writer: Readability is incredibly important. If someone can understand your writing on a first pass through, they’re more likely to stop and pay attention to it. This tool allows you to paste your work in and get a readability score, after it’s graded your writing against several different scales. Once you’ve got your score, you’ll know if you need to do some work on making yourself clear through your writing.
- Custom Writing: Have you ever considered having your resume proofread? You may think it’s perfect, but there may be a reason you’re not being snapped up by potential employers. Ask this writing service to take a look at it for you. If they spot anything wrong, they’ll be able to correct it for you before sending it back.
- Language Tool: If you write in several other languages, it may feel hard trying to find a proofreading program that caters to you. This tool will solve that problem. It can read writing in over 20 languages, including French, Polish, and German. You can get the same feedback that you could on English language spell checkers, so you’ll know where you’ll need to make edits.
- Assignment Writer: This writing service understands that sometime you just need another human to check your work over. The spelling and grammar may be great, but you need to know that your ideas and explanations come across clearly. They can check this for you, and more.
- Polish My Writing: If you like simple interfaces, this tool is for you. All you have to do is paste your writing into the box, and you’ll get instant feedback on what needs correcting and polishing up. It’s a lot of the functionality with less of the fuss of other tools.
- Intelligent Editing: This tool can be downloaded into your preferred text editing tool, such as Microsoft Word. It’s great for holding up house style and catching any errors before others can see them.
Give these tools a try and see what you think. You’re sure to find one that fits with your personal writing style.
Mary Walton is a professional editor and online tutor, currently living in Santa Monica.
If you like this blog post, you’ll love all the content available for our members. Learn more about joining the Nonfiction Authors Association!