If book marketing is overwhelming you, following are the absolute essentials to getting your book promotion efforts going.
- Identify a powerful niche audience and where they spend their time.
- Create a professional author website with blog (WordPress).
- Update your blog at least 2x per week (frequency increases traffic).
- Set up email marketing (Constant Contact or Mail Chimp).
- Enlist colleagues, family and friends to help promote your launch by sending them copy for emails and social media posts.
- Utilize at least two social media networks (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram).
- Create an Author Central Account on Amazon and make sure your book sales page has a robust amount of content.
- Generate reviews on Amazon (contact existing reviewers, NetGalley, BookBub).
- Leverage bloggers for book reviews, excerpts, guest posts.
- Pitch yourself as a guest on internet radio shows and podcasts.
- Promote with YouTube, Periscope, Blab.im (if video is your thing).
- Pitch timely topics to media.
- Enter book awards programs.
- Participate in online groups or start your own.
- Join trade associations where your audience spends time.
- Write for print publications that reach your audience.
- Become a speaker at audience-related events.
- It’s all about your target audience. Go where they spend their time and be a resource that addresses their needs, challenges and interests.
- Aim for at least three marketing actions per day if you want to get results.
- Marketing is a marathon. Stay with it and have fun!
If you like this blog post, you’ll love our publishing courses! Learn more about our courses for authors here.