1. You can self-publish your book by
–Doing it as an ebook, a hardcover, a mass market book or trade paperback
–Using print-on demand (POD) at no cost or by paying for services
–Using print-quantity-needed (PQN) for short runs, offset for longer runs
–Publishing it for free online as blog posts, articles, or a manuscript,
–Publishing it with the growing number of publishers that have self-publishing imprints
–Collaborate with a hybrid publisher: you pay for professional help.
–Crowdfund the cost with an online fundraising service or Patreon
–Selling it chapter by chapter as a subscription
–hiring an agent who helps clients self-publish and may pay for it
–hiring a professional who will take care of the process for you
2. You can sell the rights to
–one of the five publishers that dominate trade publishing
–a small press, midsized, regional or niche publisher
–a publisher for a flat fee as a work for hire
–an academic or university press
–a professional publisher that publishes books for a specific field
3. You can post a pitch and a sample on Inkshare’s app Properties.
4. You can publish it in other forms such as an app, video, software, a podcast, audiobook, or sell the rights to a company that produces these products.
5. You can pay for all of the costs to publish your book with a vanity or subsidy publisher. Like POD publishing, this has no credibility in the industry.
6. You may be able to partner with a business or non-profit that will underwrite the writing, publishing, and promotion of your book because it will promote their agenda and enable them to profit from publicity and perhaps book sales.
7. You can work with a packager who provides publishers with a file ready for the printer or finished books.
8. You can hire an agent.
If you like this blog post, you’ll love our Author Toolkit with templates, worksheets and checklists for getting traditionally published. Check it out!
I had never thought about how you can publish with a university press. I have been thinking about writing a book, and I wanted to know what publishing options were available. I can see how using a university press could help it get noticed.