Course: Self-Publishing De-Mystified (or How to Publish Your Book)
Please Note: Courses are being rescheduled at a later date due to challenges we’re having on the back end of our website.
Sorry for any inconvenience. Please be sure you’re signed up on our mailing list for updates.
Self-publishing a book is easier than ever, but it can also be overwhelming. The publishing industry is loaded with choices and conflicting advice, and many new authors make mistakes they later regret. The good news is that it doesn’t have to be so complicated!
In this comprehensive course, we’ll cover everything you need to self-publish your book, whether by forming your own publishing company or by working with a hybrid publisher. You’ll learn the exact steps you need to take to bring your book to market in the most professional way possible.
You will learn:
- The pros and cons of self-publishing
- All about hybrid and vanity publishing, which firms to choose and which to avoid
- How to establish your own publishing company (optional)
- Financial, legal and tax planning considerations
- What industry-standard identifiers you need to acquire and when and why you need them (ISBN, barcode, LOCC, BISAC codes)
- The items you need to include in your manuscript (like a copyright page, attributions, disclaimers)
- How to obtain testimonials from well-known authors
- All the elements of book production and the essentials you need to know about each
- Printing options and how to select a printer
- How to work with book distributors and get your books placed on store shelves
- Non-bookstore distribution to gift shops, schools, corporations, etc.
- Hiring strategies for finding the contractors you need
- The basic steps for preparing your book launch
None of your questions will go un-answered! This course will take you through all the steps and you will leave feeling prepared and ready to produce your book!
We’ve compiled several handouts for all participants, which you can download immediately as soon as you register for the course.
Here’s what you’ll get:
- The Ultimate Self-Publishing Checklist
- Template: Bookstore consignment agreement
- Template: Bulk book sales pricing document
- Checklist: Items to include with manuscript
- Template: Letter to obtain right to publish
- Manuscript writing checklist
- Manuscript formatting guidelines
- Template: Product order form
- Sample copyright page
- Sample request for endorsement
- Report: Which self-publishing firm should I choose?
- Recording: Professional book distributor Amy Collins covers how to get your books placed in bookstores, schools, specialty stores and more – from the 2015 Nonfiction Writers Conference
(We think the handouts are worth the price of admission alone!)
About Your Instructor
Stephanie Chandler is founder and CEO of the Nonfiction Authors Association and Nonfiction Writers Conference. She’s also an award-winning author of nine books—both traditionally published and self-published. She’s also a frequent speaker at writers’ conferences and events and has been featured in Entrepreneur, Wired, Inc. and Forbes.
Course Dates and Time
Tuesday September 6 and September 13, 1pm PST / 4pm EST
Self-Publishing De-Mystified is delivered LIVE in two webinar sessions of up to 90 minutes each, including plenty of time for participant Q&A. With webinar access, you can watch from your computer or mobile device or opt to listen to the audio-version only.
Not available to attend the live course? The replay and recording will be available immediately following the event!
Early Registration Bonus:
Register before August 19, 2016 at midnight and receive a hot bonus: Nonfiction Writers Conference Greatest Hits. This includes eight of our most popular event recordings:
- Pat Flynn – Passive Income for Authors – NFWC 2016
- Helen Sedwick – Protecting Your Rights and Your Wallet: Copyright, Trademarks and Other Legal Details for Authors – NFWC 2016
- Cathey Armillas – How to Pitch, Prepare and Deliver a Killer TED Talk – NFWC 2015
- Dana Lynn Smith – How to Launch and Market Your Book – NFWC 2015
- Linda Hollander – How to Attract Lucrative Corporate Sponsorships – NFWC 2014
- Jason Van Orden – Leverage Video and Podcasting to Build Your Audience – NFWC 2014
- Chris Garrett – Blogging for Authors – NFWC 2013
- Sandra Beckwith – DIY PR – NFWC 2013
You will receive the above downloadable recordings immediately upon registration.
Also see our companion course:
Traditional Publishing De-Mystified (How to Get a Book Deal)
Course rate is just $97!
(Authority members of the Nonfiction Authors Association receive a 50% discount. Visit your member home page for more details.)
Register for BOTH Publishing Courses: $149
You will receive both courses: Traditional Publishing De-Mystified AND Self-Publishing De-Mystified (a savings of $45!).
Register and Join NFAA!
Not yet an Authority member of the Nonfiction Authors Association? Not to worry—you can join now and bundle your membership with both courses at the member rate!
Authority members of the Nonfiction Authors Association receive extensive benefits: exclusive templates, checklists and other content added weekly, educational seminars and past event recordings, access to our active LinkedIn forum, marketing “homework” (tips) sent weekly via email, monthly publishing Q&A “Spark” calls with NFAA CEO Stephanie Chandler, complimentary admission to NFAA local chapter meetings (where available, in the US and Canada), discounts with NFAA partners (Office Depot, PR Newswire, Profnet, Gebbie Press, BlueHost) and discounted registration for the Nonfiction Book Awards, Nonfiction Writers Conference and other courses and events.
Annual Authority membership rate is $190. Your membership will be processed typically within two business days after course registration—watch for an email confirmation!
Register and Join Rate (includes BOTH publishing courses): $265
If for any reason you aren’t satisfied with the course, notify us before the end of the first course day and we’ll issue you a FULL REFUND.