Email marketing is not dead; it’s as valuable as ever. But it is harder to get people to subscribe, which means you have to make it worth their while.
Tips for Email Marketing Success
- Add a sign-up box in the header or sidebar across all pages of your site.
- Give away a great incentive for signing up: Free book chapters, special report, coupon, or other enticing bonus.
- Limit delivery or risk burning out your subscribers. Once or twice per month is usually plenty.
- Make it valuable. Provide content that your target audience looks forward to receiving.
- Personalize it by writing a greeting in each edition.
- Produce a formal newsletter or keep your emails more casual—whatever suits your personal style and your audience best.
- Use a professional email tool such as https://www.constantcontact.com, https://mailchimp.com or https://www.aweber.com.
- Personal welcome/greeting from you.
- One or more helpful articles. (Note that you can summarize content from your recent blog posts—include the first paragraph and a link to continue reading on your blog.)
- Featured product or service. Include a special offer or simply highlight one of your products or services.
- Contact information, including email, phone, website link, and mailing address.
- Company logo and tagline.
- Your photo for personal brand-building.
- Social media links.
- A link to unsubscribe (provided automatically by professional email services).
Optional Newsletter Content
- Additional content, including quick tips, resources, recipes, or games
- Coupon for products or services
- Articles by guest contributors
- Upcoming events or appearances
- Advertisements from sponsors
- Cartoons or images
- Frequently asked questions with answers
- Industry news
- Graphs, charts, or info-graphics
- Excerpt from your book
- Recommended reading
- Recommended resource, website, or product
- Additional special offers, though beware of over-selling
E-Newsletter Action Plan
How often will you send your newsletter? Bi-Monthly Monthly Six Weeks
List the content your newsletter will include.
|Greeting from you
|Article or summary of recent blog posts
|Featured product or service
Who will be responsible for compiling the newsletter?_____________________________
When will the next issue go out?_____________________
What bonus will you offer to new subscribers?__________________________________
- Invite social media contacts to sign up for your newsletter by sending out a link to your sign-up form.
- If you are a Constant Contact user, you can add a sign-up form to your Facebook business page. Visit the Promote section of your Constant Contact account for details.
- Add a sign-up box to your website if you don’t already have one.
- Always look for ways to add newsletter subscribers. Hold a drawing to collect cards when you speak at an event. Conduct free teleseminars in exchange for email registration. Promote, promote, promote!
If you like this blog post, you’ll love our Author Toolkit covering websites, blogging and social media for authors. Check it out!