Lady Luck smiles on writers who play their cards right. These five hearts guarantee you a winning hand:
YOU ARE THE ACE:
- Heartwork: Make reading, writing, and communicating a labor of love.
- Headwork: Learn about books, writing, publishing, technology, and your field.
- Goals: Have literary and publishing goals and a plan to achieve them.
CONTENT IS KING:
- Reading: Read for pleasure, inspiration, research, models for your books and career.
- Writing Do as many drafts as it takes to make every word right.
- Sharing: Get feedback from a large community of knowledgeable readers.
COMMUNICATION IS QUEEN:
- Platform: Use content to build continuing visibility and your brand.
- Communities: Serve and collaborate with your writing and publishing communities.
- Content Marketing: Test-market and share the value of your books.
COMMERCE IS JACK:
- Entrepreneuring: Be the CEO of a one-person multimedia, multinational conglomerate.
- Contentpreneuring: Resell and repurpose your work.
- Commitment: Let nothing stop you from doing what it takes to succeed.
THE LITERARY ECOSYSTEM IS TEN:
- Balance: Maintain equilibrium between your personal and professional life.
- Bookism: Support reading, writing, publishing, booksellers, and libraries.
- Harmony: Support sustainability by balancing people, profit, and the planet.
Don’t gamble with your future. Give yourself a winning hand: Make writing and publishing a safe bet by making your work and your career a labor of love. Play your hearts, and you won’t need wild cards to win.
You can adapt the royal flush–the outline of a talk–to other fields and your personal life.
Michael Larsen Author Coaching
If you like this blog post, you’ll love our publishing courses! Learn more about our courses for authors here.