We understand this is a challenging time for authors. (And all of humanity!) Following are ways you can develop new revenue streams, locate freelance work, and discover job opportunities. We hope you find these resources helpful as you navigate the road ahead.
(By the way, in case you missed it, our previous post covered Financial Relief Resources for Authors, Freelancers, and Independent Contractors.)
Create New Revenue Streams
In this time of economic uncertainty, you may need to get creative when it comes to producing income. There are a variety of revenue streams you can potentially add to your business:
- Online courses and events
- Self-study courses
- Digital products including ebooks, reports, whitepapers, recordings, templates, worksheets, databases of information, pre-formatted spreadsheets
- Membership programs
- Corporate sponsorships
- Bundles of products and services
- Merchandise for sale through sites like Cafépress and Zazzle
- Create a board game or card game through The Game Crafter or Board Games Maker
- Install ads on your site from Google Adsense, Media.net or Propeller Ads
The popularity of audiobooks is growing each year and there are two primary providers that will assist in getting yours produced and published.
- Findaway Voices is an independent platform that distributes to Audible and other audiobook platforms. One big advantage of this service is their distribution to Overdrive, the primary platform libraries use to acquire audiobooks and ebooks. Note that members of the Nonfiction Authors Association receive a discount on services.
- ACX is owned by Amazon and primarily distributes to Audible. While you’ll earn a little more on your Audible sales here, your distribution will also be limited.
Start a Consulting or Coaching Business
As a nonfiction author, you have expertise that others need. You can offer services virtually with phone or video calls. Here are some additional resources.
- Clarity.fm is a directory of consultants where you can list yourself for free, set your own rates and get discovered by people seeking your services.
- Alternatives to Clarity.fm include Growth Mentor, OnFrontiers, JustAnswer and
- GLG is an exclusive network of experts and corporate executives who are paid for providing expertise, primarily to large organizations.
Participate in Affiliate Programs
You can earn a percentage of sales generated by participating in affiliate programs for various products and services. These programs allow you to generate a unique link to share on your site. When a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase, you earn a percentage of the sale.
- Amazon Associates affiliate program allows you to create product-specific links, including links to your book as well as other books and products.
- Commission Junction hosts a large network of affiliate programs for big brands like Barnes and Noble, Office Depot, Lowe’s and Overstock.com.
- Share a Sale is similar to Commission Junction, allowing you to promote a variety of retailers and earn a percentage of sales generated.
- Clickbank hosts digital products available for affiliate sales where you can promote other creators’ products or list your own for sale.
- Create your own affiliate program using your ecommerce solution. Many online shopping cart solutions offer this feature.
There are many ways to supplement income using your skills as a writer, graphic designer, artist, course developer, and even handyman skills. Here are some sites to investigate.
- Upwork – A directory of freelancers who offer writing, editing, web design, graphic design, administrative assistance, formatting Excel spreadsheets, voice-over talent, project management, and much more.
- Freelancer, Fiverr, Guru – Similar to Upwork.
- Care.com – Connecting caregivers for children, seniors and pets, plus house cleaners.
- TaskRabbit – A directory of physical labor freelancers offering home repair, furniture assembly, shopping, running errands, yard work, painting, and more.
- Doordash, GrubHub, UberEats, Postmates – Restaurant delivery services that hire drivers based on your schedule.
- Instacart – A personal shopping and delivery service for groceries and other essentials, teamed with stores like Costco, Target and Safeway.
- Media Bistro, Freelance Writing, Contently, PubLoft, – Locate paid writing opportunities.
For more revenue stream ideas, watch our free webinar here.
Just because unemployment is raising, it doesn’t mean there aren’t jobs available. Don’t give up before you check some of these resources for job opportunities.
- FlexJobs, SolidGigs – Includes freelance opportunities and permanent work, such as call-center and remote jobs.
- Indeed – This service compiles job opportunities from various sites and places them in one location.
- Craigslist – Find local job opportunities in Craigslist for your city. Also visit Craigslist for other cities and look for remote work opportunities.
Be a Voice
More than ever, the global community is seeking answers and support. As an author, you have expertise to share. Consider using your voice to help others during this time. You can share your experience and advice on wide variety of topics such as:
- Health and wellness
- Financial matters
- Family engagement
- Strategies for life at home
- Ways to develop a new skill
- How to thrive during this unprecedented time
- How to thrive when this situation ends (and it will end!)
You can share your knowledge through a variety of platforms:
- Blogging (your site or others)
- Social media
- Facebook Live
- Email list
Your expertise can help bring people together during this tenuous time, and now more than ever, the world needs more people to be of service and bring solutions to our fellow humans.
Do you have a resource or suggestion to add to our list? Please share in the comments below.
We are sending all of you our best wishes for financial, physical, and emotional wellness through this situation. Better days are coming!