Calling all nonfiction authors, editors, designers, publicists, social media managers, and publishing industry professionals.
Welcome to the Book Publishing Master Course and OPTIONAL Professional Certification Program
Learn how to publish your own books OR grow your author services or consulting business by helping your clients publish.
Work at your own pace with this on-demand course, and join an enthusiastic community online.
Join us for game-changing ONLINE TRAINING
Whether you want to publish your own books or help clients through the publishing process for their books, this course will help you:
- Understand the paths to publishing: Self-publish on your own, hire a hybrid publisher, work with a small press, use a distribution partner, or get a literary agent and land a traditional book deal.
- Create realistic book production and launch timelines that make time for editing, cover and interior design, getting book reviews, and pre-launch activities.
- Publish professionally with industry standard book cover and interior design, front and back matter, headers and footers, tables of contents, and indexes for both print and ebooks.
- Set up an official publishing business with an LLC and publisher name, a business plan, and a sales and distribution strategy.
- Avoid legal headaches by learning general guidelines about fair use vs. copyrighted materials, quotes and song lyrics, taxes and permits, trademarks, scams, pen names, libel, slander, and contracts.
- Register your book: ISBN (Industry Standard Book Number), LCCN (Library of Congress Control Number), PCN (Pre-assigned Control Number), and copyright registration with the US government.
- Create PDF, EPUB, and MOBI formats (ebooks) with book creation tools or hire professional book designers and use these for Advance Review Copies (ARCs) and to upload to stores or distributors.
- Find and work with critique partners, peer reviewers, and beta readers to prove your book’s value, get a head start on editing, and make them a part of your book marketing street team.
- Title, describe, and price your book in-line with compatible and competitive books in the same genre.
- Choose how to get your book into online and bricks-and-mortar stores with Ingram, Smashwords, Draft2Digital, PublishDrive, and/or by uploading your book directly to Amazon, Kobo, Apple, and other stores.
- Create your metadata: book cover, title, subtitle, description, author bio, categories, and keywords.
- Hire contractors and virtual assistants for jobs like cover design, interior book design, your website, social media marketing, book marketing, and administrative tasks.
- Produce professional books that meet publishing industry standards.
THE BOOK PUBLISHING MASTER COURSE WILL TRANSFORM YOU INTO A BOOK PUBLISHING PRO
Course instructor Carla King, founder of Destination Published and Self-Publishing Boot Camp, delivers the on-demand training videos. Got questions? Participate in our private community to get them answered and connect with other students. Community matters!
COMPANION WORKBOOK, COURSE HANDOUTS, AND PRIVATE GROUP
All students receive the Self-Publishing Boot Camp Guide for Independent Authors, available for immediate download. Additional handouts and bonus content are made available throughout the course. You are also invited to participate in our private Facebook group.
OPTIONAL CERTIFICATION PROGRAM
The certification add-on option is ideal for publishing coaches, ghostwriters, editors, designers, virtual assistants, author assistants, staff members at publishing houses, and other publishing industry professionals.
Add “Certified Publishing Consultant” to your credentials and expand your service offerings and coaching business.
MEET YOUR COURSE INSTRUCTOR
Carla King has been known as “the Self-Publishing Queen” since 2008. That year, she committed to documenting the evolution of independent publishing services, tools, and processes for authors eager to bypass the cumbersome traditional agented book deal. She is the founder of Misadventures Media, which is the home of her Self-Pub Boot Camp online courses, Destination Published author coaching, and the Author Friendly Podcast. She is a multi-book author of memoir and how-to books and, just like you, struggled to find reliable, affordable, and professional publishing solutions.
Carla has spoken at hundreds of events to help writers become authors through the ever changing world of writing and publishing. She has helped authors with blogging, journalism, storytelling on social media platforms, and creating their own professionally published books. Since she self-published her first book in 1994, Carla has turned down multiple offers by agents and traditional publishing companies, including for her Self-Publishing Guide for Independent Authors, which is now in its fifth edition.
A technical writer by trade, Carla started her dream career as a travel writer after living and working in France. Just like you, she sought assistance to learn the craft and business of writing, authorship, and publishing by trial and error. She balances her work as a travel and memoir writer with her publishing work, which keeps her needs as an author at top of mind. She will show you how to avoid the many mistakes author-publishers make and help you publish professionally.
READY TO BECOME A CERTIFIED BOOK PUBLISHING PROFESSIONAL?
Certification is an OPTIONAL ADD-ON to the Book Publishing Master Course
If you’re a book coach, ghostwriter, editor, designer, virtual or author assistant, or want to build a career in one of these fields, this certification program is for you.
Here’s how it works:
You’ll take an online quiz following each course module. Once you pass all quizzes with a score of 80% or higher, you will receive the following:
- A one-year listing in our online directory of Book Publishing Consultants OR our directory of Virtual Assistants for Authors, which will be promoted to our community year-round. We expect your listing will generate more than enough business opportunities to justify the cost of this program. ($297 value for listing)
- Written interview with you featured in our blog and shared across our social media networks, highlighting the services you offer.
- Frame-worthy gold foil-accented certificate mailed to US participants. International participants receive a printable version.
- Exclusive Certified Book Publishing Professional logo, a digital asset you can post on your website and in related marketing collateral. This endorsement from the Nonfiction Authors Association is meant to set a standard in our industry, making you a founding member of this program.
- Access to an exclusive database of content available only to graduates of this program, including digital templates you can customize with your own logo and use with your clients.
- Invitation to join our private Facebook group available only to Certified Book Publishing Professionals, providing ongoing support for your business journey.
Yes, we’ve PACKED this certification program with value! We want to be sure you leave the program ready to grow your business and help authors expand their businesses, too.
Don’t wait to participate. Special introductory pricing is only available for this inaugural launch. Prices will increase.
Certification Program Q&A
How long is certification valid? Certification is valid for three years. You can re-take the course and re-certify at a special discounted rate.
Can I renew my website listing in the directory after the one-year term? Yes, directory listings can be renewed for just $497 per year or $49 per month.
What kinds of opportunities can I expect from my directory listing? Our existing Recommended Resources page is one of the most popular pages on this website. We expect all certified professionals will receive client inquiries from our site throughout the year, and though we cannot guarantee results, we are confident we will generate tremendous website traffic to this directory.
Is this an in-demand career? YES! Book publishing is in great demand and many authors want to hire help with getting their books produced professionally. This certification program was inspired by the countless inquiries we receive each week asking for referrals to book publishing consultants, service providers, and authors’ assistants. We want to ensure the professionals we recommend deliver consistent value and that we help set standards for book publishing services offered within the publishing industry.
What happens if I am unable to pass the quizzes? The quizzes are self-paced and open-book so we expect all students will be able to pass. You can re-take all of the quizzes as many times as needed.
Successfully complete the certification program and use this badge on your website and in your marketing collateral!
About the Nonfiction Authors Association
Optional: Join NFAA when you enroll in the course!
The Nonfiction Authors Association is a vibrant community for experienced and aspiring writers to connect, exchange ideas, and learn how to write, publish, promote, and profit with nonfiction books.
With over 14,000 members around the globe, NFAA helps writers reduce the overwhelm that comes with the publishing industry while learning to navigate the many options successfully. We aim to help you sell more books, reach more readers, and become more profitable.
Authority Membership Benefits
- Exclusive Author Advisor email sent every Friday featuring cultivated media leads, podcast recordings with industry experts, plus templates, checklists, and reports from our member archives.
- Popular members-only Facebook group.
- Meet-the-Members program where you can share your book announcement with our email list, blog, and social media community.
- Discounts off the year-round Nonfiction Book Awards program, author toolkits, and online courses.
- Discounts off the Nonfiction Writers Conference, multi-day events held online since 2010.
- Discounts with NFAA partners including Lulu, IngramSpark, Office Depot, Findaway Voices, PR Newswire, and more.
ANNUAL AUTHORITY MEMBERSHIP RATE: $290
VIP Membership Benefits:
VIP membership is our “all-you-can eat” plan offering FREE Platinum admission to the Nonfiction Writers Conference (online event), including all recordings and transcripts, and free access to premium content, including our popular Ultimate Author Toolkits.
Total added value: $1,475!
ANNUAL VIP MEMBERSHIP RATE: $690
If you’re serious about creating an author business then this course is a must. Carla has broken the courses down into bite-size, manageable pieces that even the busiest person can find the time to work through and never lose focus. Her friendly nature and responsiveness to questions is a bonus you’ll not find everywhere. She truly cares about our success.
WHO SHOULD TAKE THE BOOK PUBLISHING MASTER COURSE?
This course is ideal for:
- Nonfiction authors, new or experienced
- Anyone interested in starting a publishing business
- Book coaches and shepherds
- Book editors, designers and production professionals
- Virtual assistants and authors’ assistants
- Fiction authors will find value here too, though materials are crafted for nonfiction
WHO SHOULD PURSUE BOOK PUBLISHING PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATION?
The Book Publishing Professional Certification is ideal for:
- Virtual assistants and authors’ assistants
- Book coaches and shepherds
- Book editors and designers
- Staff for book publishers, marketing firms, etc.
- Other publishing industry professionals
- Anyone wanting to enter the above fields
- Authors are welcome to participate in certification as well to become a recognized publishing pro
Whether you want to learn how to publish your own books or you want to obtain skills to apply in your business working with authors, this course is jam packed with educational value that will transform you from a novice to an expert. You can take the course on its own, or take the course and add the certification program to expand your skills and get featured in our services provider directory.
FEEDBACK FROM PREVIOUS STUDENTS
Carla’s courses are well-planned and organized to bring you everything you need to know—in one place—to make the best progress with your books from the moment you hit your computer to write the first word, to the formatting and production of your book.
Carla’s course is a must for the novice and seasoned self-publisher alike. She lays out the essential steps in a logical and understandable way. She’ll answer questions you didn’t know you had about the publishing industry!
Carla King’s courses and experiences have been the most critical step along my road to self-publishing. After a mediocre experience with an established publisher for my first book, I considered another book project to be unlikely. Without her help and guidance on self-publishing, I doubt my most recent two books would have been written.
Carla’s course modules include theories, concepts, application of the processes, and content from industry experts in various focused publishing disciplines. The workflow helps demystify the author and publishing relationships in the process, illustrates the potential pitfalls when rushing the process, and helps build a solid learning framework.
Too often people rush to self-publishing only to find out they have made costly blunders. As a teacher, Carla King will show you how to avoid these mistakes, publish a better manuscript, and position yourself toward larger profits.
Carla’s courses easy enough for newbies and enlightening for those like myself with certain publishing experience. If you are interested in going the indie publishing route, I suggest you travel with Carla!
YOUR ON-DEMAND MODULES
All course modules are delivered on-demand. Course sessions typically last 90 minutes and include recordings of a Q&A with the instructor from the live version of this course. Sessions last up to 120 minutes to accommodate all student questions.
Module 1 – Prepare for success: The critical stages of book publishing and the essential competitive analysis step.
Module 2 – Your book business: LLCs, ISBNs, PCNs, LCCNs, CIP Blocks, imprints, taxes, and legal matters.
Module 3 – Book cover and interior design and formatting (PDF, MOBI, EPUB and fixed-layout ebooks).
Module 4 – Book distribution with IngramSpark, Amazon, and the other distribution companies and online stores.
Module 5 – Book launch and beyond – Pre-launch production tasks, launch day, and post-launch activities.
Module 6 – Products, tools, services, and your team: how to streamline your processes and hire talented professionals.
Meet other students and join the discussion in our private Facebook group.
TAKE YOUR CAREER TO THE NEXT LEVEL
Satisfaction is always 100% guaranteed.
If for any reason this course isn’t for you, notify us within the first two weeks of instruction and receive a full refund.
BOOK PUBLISHING MASTER COURSE RECAP
COURSE REGISTRATION INCLUDES
- Access to six training sessions averaging 90 minutes each
- Invitation to join private Facebook group
- Bonus workbook available for download
- Bonus materials available throughout the course
- Option to join the Nonfiction Authors Association and attend the upcoming Nonfiction Writers Conference and other events
CERTIFICATION REGISTRATION INCLUDES
- All course benefits
- Quizzes for each module
- One-year listing in our directory of Certified Book Publishing Professionals or Virtual Assistants for Authors (must pass all six quizzes with score of 80% or higher)
- Gold foil certificate mailed to US participants upon completion
- Logo featuring professional designation for use on your website and in marketing collateral
- Customizable templates you can use for your own clients
- Invitation to private Facebook group available only to certified professionals
Don’t delay! Your career depends on it!
PRICING AND REGISTRATION FOR THIS SELF-STUDY COURSE DELIVERED ON DEMAND
BOOK PUBLISHING MASTER COURSE
VIP MEMBERSHIP + NONFICTION WRITERS CONFERENCE
VIP MEMBERSHIP + CONFERENCE$2,187
Authority and VIP members of the Nonfiction Authors Association
Visit your member home page for special course discount.
Bonus Content with Registration
(Available to download immediately)
Metadata Cheat Sheet
Book Production Spreadsheet
Report: The Five Stages of Book Formatting
The Self-Publishing Boot Camp Guide by Carla King
READY TO BECOME A SUCCESSFUL BOOK PUBLISHER? iT'S EASIER THAN YOU THINK!
This is the course you’ve been waiting for!
You will learn step-by-step strategies to develop your publishing business, plus create a production timeline, a book launch plan, and get your print books and ebooks—or your clients’ books—into the online and bricks-and-mortar bookstores. Satisfaction is 100% guaranteed.
Don’t like to register online?
Need to spread out payments over time?
Please note that we do not guarantee any outcome or financial benefit for participants. Results will vary and depend in part on the effort you put into participating in the course and then implementing your publishing plans. Course benefits, dates, and times are subject to change due to unforeseen circumstances. As a reminder, you can cancel and request a full refund for any reason within the first two weeks of the course. We look forward to having you join us. Questions? Contact us here.